There’s an old saying, “What you don’t see can’t hurt you”, but when it comes to filter frames, what you don’t see CAN hurt you. We’re talking about poorly fitting filters with filter frames that leave a gap between the filter opening and the frame itself. Such gaps can draw unfiltered air into your HVAC system and leave a lot to chance.
Think about the reason why you have filters in your system. Filters are there to protect the motor of the HVAC system, the ductwork, and to improve the air quality for everyone living and working inside the building treated by the HVAC system. If that air isn’t filtered, what happens?
- Dirt, mold, dust, hair, fibers, lint, pollen and many other airborne contaminants zip right past the filter frames and into the system.
- This debris sticks to cobwebs and other parts of the ductwork. As it builds up, it can become a hidden fire hazard.
- Inside the motor, dirt and debris cling to lubricants. This creates an uneven, bumpy surface on parts meant to fit together smoothly, causing excess friction and more wear and tear on the system
- Dirt sucked into the system gets pushed back out into the rooms below, causing a dirtier environment.
Yuck! No one wants this in their home, commercial building, office building or another environment. Yet uneven filter frames or poorly fitting filter frames can be a major contributor to dirty systems and poor indoor air quality.
Fortunately, there are several solutions to poorly fitting filter frames.
- Try a different brand of filter. Filter frames may vary slightly according to the brand.
- Use filter tape around the frame to close small gaps.
- Talk to the experts at Twin City Filter Service about custom filter frames which can be crafted to fit precisely inside your system and prevent gaps and air leakage around filter frames.
Filter frames are a filter component almost as important as the filtration media itself, but one that often goes unattended. Knowing what to look for and how to fix filter gaps can make sure that what you can’t see doesn’t hurt you – or your HVAC system – at all.
Twin City Filter Service offers a wide range of filter materials, pads, frames and more. Custom filters are also available. Commercial air filters, bulk media, and other materials are available at our location or upon request. We ship same day to customers coast to coast and offer next day delivery in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota and North Dakota. Twin City Filter Service may be reached at (612) 721-2001.